Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Why me!?

So being the greatest mother on earth, I decided to let Hannah invite some friends over from school. She has half days this week, so I thought "why not?" It started out easily enough. She named two girls she really likes from school and I made the calls. Girl #1: Yep, no problem she'll be there! Girl #2 was a little harder. Dad babysits another girl from school so if she was to come then the "friend of a friend" would have to come also. Alright, that would be fine. I'm a teacher for Pete's Sake, I can handle a whopping 4 first graders.

Play date starts and all is going well. The girls are so excited every time they pull something new out of the toy chest: "No way you have this Barbie" "Oh wow I didn't know you liked Little Pet Shop" Etc.

Pretty soon they get a little restless and ask to go outside to run around. "Sure, but stay right in front so I can see you!" They head out and I think to myself that I should go out too. THANK GOODNESS! I'm out there three minutes when I happen to glance over and see one of the girls petting the neighbor dog. Rocky (the dog) is always outside running the hood, and he does great with the kids. BUT: as I am watching her pet him, all of the sudden he reaches up and bites her! I saw the whole thing happen! She runs screaming and bleeding and I chase after trying to assess the situation.

Thank goodness Josh was home so he was able to help by getting the neighbors attention and having them lock their dog up. I sent all the girls into Hannah's room and try to see how bad the bite was. Broken skin and bruising was all I could really see, but this little lady was crying like someone had run over her! I felt awful and so I did my best to calm her down, and then I had to call the parents. Remember though, this is the friend of a friend. So I have to call the Dad I had spoken to. He of course thought it would be best to drive her home which I did. Later he called to say that he had gotten it cleaned up and that the parents were on their way. I feel awful! No one has called me yet, but I did give them my # as well as the dog-owners #.

Hopefully they can all work it out, but I don't think those girls will be back for another play date anytime soon. I hope Hannah can make some new friends!

5 comments:

Denise said...

Oh no, of course it happens when you have her! I bet the parents understand...it happens. Hannah might want to find a replacement friend though. The little girl might be scared to go anywhere close to that dog. I am sorry :)

Sarah said...

I feel so bad that you had Rylan as well. I didn't realize you were having three gilrs over to play! I was thinking about you the rest of the day. I would have been totally stressed out in that situation....you handled it great!

Nichole Bowler said...

I bet the girls have already forgotten about it and will want to come back and play soon. I think we take things harder than they do! Our last dog bit my 1 year old nephew when i was babysitting. I felt terrible for days, but he was over it in a few minutes. You did everything you could and it wasn't your fault, so don't blame yourself.

Diane said...

What a story. I don't think the parents should be mad at you, only the neighbor who owned the dog. I'd hate to say what I'd do in that situation. I'm not very forgiving when it comes to that sort of thing (dogs that are not caged or tied). You had no control over it though, the dog was loose.

Clawson Family said...

Just as an update: I never heard a thing from the parents. The neighbor said that the parents called her, and that they were just going to watch it. The dog hasn't been out since then (THANK GOODNESS). I still don't think we'll be having another playdate soon.