Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Pike Place Adventure


We headed over to Pike Place Market this past weekend. The above picture from the BIG ferry. Our journey started with the realization we really aren't in Bend anymore. No longer can we just hop in the car and go for an impromptu adventure. We now have to plan around ferry schedules, buses, etc. The original plan for the day had been for Josh to take the kids to the air museum. Unfortunately that plan wasn't as well thought out as it could have been, so I decided that maybe a full family adventure would be more fun.

HOURS LATER: Lunch is packed, we load into the car to drive across the bay to catch the big ferry. We were unable to take our little foot ferry over, because once again we hadn't been planning every phase of the trip out. Live and learn right?

We ate lunch on the big ferry and marveled at how HUGE the thing is! Check this out:


Yep, there are arcade games on board. Also a cafeteria, snack machines, bathrooms, etc. It was pretty neat. Obviously Ben was well occupied. The trip took about an hour, and then we were in downtown Seattle. That was pretty neat, just being in the center of everything. We wandered the water front for awhile, and then headed up the "stair climb" I had read about the stair climb, and yup, it was just as exhausting as I thought. We ended up taking the elevator by the second flight. Pike Place was fun, but it was hard to get the full experience with hot, tired, kids. See how crowded it was? We went to the park for a crowd break at that point. Doesn't Josh look so happy? Ben too...





At this point we decided some air conditioning was in order, so we took the kids to the aquarium. No pictures in there really, but take my word that they had fun. It was so neat, there was a section where you are standing in a tube and fish/sea creatures are swimming all around you. It was really neat. After that we had time for a quick dinner and then off to the ferry home.


Overall, it was a fun but exhausting day. We did learn some valuable lessons regarding planning, time management, etc. though. This weekend will bring more adventures I am sure. The big Bite Of Seattle is this weekend. I have no idea what exactly that is, but it should be fun. It is in City Center though which means we'll be taking a bus too. Guess I should get going so I can plan the foot ferry/big ferry/bus schedule all out. Good thing I am organized right?

3 comments:

jebandjenn simpson family said...

Looks like fun!! Your husband is so like mine can't smile for a picture to save his life! Talk to you later!

The Godell Family said...

When I come to visit we will have to go there. And we'll have to go to all the other fun spots as well. You sound like you are adjusting well. Good work! I miss you though!

Tree said...

So in the picture where Josh, Hannah and Ben are looking grumpy at the park? Did you notice that behind them is a half dressed sunbather? Was this a nudist park? HA!

Give my kiddos a great big smooze from Nana!!!