Sunday, March 7, 2010

A cigarette away from walmart

What is up with that title?! There is the funniest story behind it, and I have to blog it out before I forget!

Before my gall bladder surgery we had a plan to go to Bend for President's Day weekend. The plan was to check on our house, and introduce our friends and family to Ms. Emily. After the surgery Josh thought I may want to stay home. YEAH RIGHT! So I asked the surgeon for his opinion-would it be better to stay home with the baby, or could I take the six hour trip? He said the trip would probably be better in the long run, just because I would have extra help with the kiddos. Yippee!

Now keep in mind, I am feeling horrible at this point-and I can't fit in any of my clothes because of all of the gases they had pumped into me. So sweatpants were my only option-sexy!

We also decided that we should take the trailer along as well-one less thing to move. So Josh attached the trailer, covered it, and we were off.

Five minutes into the trip the kids started fighting. We had moved their booster seats next to each other so that they could watch a dvd together-not our best move. They fought about what to watch, they fought about who was touching whom, they fought about the color of the sky. You name it, they argued about it. Needless to say, it didn't make Josh and I feel very warm and fuzzy. Pretty soon we were doing the "do you want me to turn this car around" bit that everyone remembers from their own childhood. The baby is the only one happy at this point (and that is only because she was sleeping). Just as we were approaching the Oregon/Washington border the tarp on the trailer starts flying through the air. It's still attached, but just barely. So we pull over, Josh fixes it, and takes the kids into Quiznos to grab some lunch while I feed the baby. Two minutes later he comes back out-Ben looks oblivious, Josh looks furious, and Hannah is bawling her eyes out. She had decided to inform him as they were looking at the menu that she doesn't eat meat. She has eaten meat for the past seven years, and anytime we go anywhere "out to eat" she orders chicken strips, so we're a little confused and frustrated with her.

So we hit the road without lunch, with our ripped trailer tarp, crying kids, and me in my sweats. Josh takes this moment to inform me that we are "one cigarette away from being even Walmart rejects." I just about died laughing (which really hurt after abdominal surgery).

I am posting a super embarrassing picture just to show how awful it really was (I'm under the influence of pain pills in this picture)...

4 comments:

Diane said...

Alisha thanks for sharing this story. It wasn't funny at the time I'm sure, but it sure put a smile on my face.

sauter signs off said...

I can't stop laughing Alisha.
Oh my goodness, the whole thing, from the tarp, to the sweatpants.. to the sky color. Tears are running down my cheeks!

sauter signs off said...

Now I'm wondering if this trip today (Wednesday) had as much adventure!

bledsoeblog said...

OH MY HEAVENS! I laughed SOOOO hard after reading this post! You are hilarious Alisha!